Women’s Collectives under “AwazUthaao” Campaign
Department of Women and Child Development with NGOs recently conducted the survey and found that nearly 80 percent of Delhi women fear for their safety in the city. Total 5,010 people (including 3,816 women and 944 men) were covered under the survey covering bus conductors, shop-keepers and auto drivers, who have a probability of witnessing acts of sexual harassment against women.
It also came out that “Nearly three out of every five women reported facing sexual harassment not only after dark but also through the daytime. But it is a good sign that 68 percent of the women deal with harassment In some way like confronting the perpetrator or seeking help from family and friends,” plus public transport, buses and roads with faulty street lights are the spaces where women and girls face a high level of sexual harassment.
This was the realization that there are laws and mechanism to deal with the problem but until and unless the communities come together to address the issues – the problem will not be solved on the basis of this realization, WCD of GNCTD came forward to initiate a new program focusing on “To make the city sage for women”.
WCD of GNCTD has taken initiative to launch a campaign “AwazUthao” and forming the Women’s Collectives, SamajikSuvidha Sangam Mission Convergence will be the Implementing agency for the formation of Women’s Collectives at grassroots level to support the women in distress, including situations of Sexual harassment / assault and rape. These collective would not only support the victim rather also majorly work on the preventive measures for the crime of this nature.
Activities Undertaken in 2015-16
|Total no. of beneficiaries covered under group meetings
||Total no. of Public meeting conducted
||Total no. of beneficiaries covered under public meetings
- Conducting community meetings and other regular meetings with stakeholders etc…
- Formation of Women’s Collective and Stake Holders Committee in the catchment area of each involved GRC.
- Awareness raising through different media like posters, plays (NukkadNatak).
- Facilitating the process of safety audit and organizing safety walks in the catchment area.
- Liasioning with other stakeholders.
- Coordination with consultants and supervisors in forming the stakeholders committee.
- Capacity building of the groups.
- Documentation of all process and activities and its regular reporting.
- Organized NukkadNatak on sexual harassment issues.
- Organizing public events and follow up.
- Training of both male and female representatives to monitor the community for cases of violence.
- Self Defense training attended by 30 girls.